Sunday, September 19, 2010

Art Analysis








Design Analysis

Regatta At Argenteuil (48 x 75 cm) 1872
Medium: oil on canvas
Style: impressionism


Claude Monte 1840-1926







Born in Paris, 1840 Claude Monet was the creator of impressionism movement and had become a well-known artist throughout the world with his consistent pieces of artwork. Monet’s enjoyed experimenting with his paintings and would paint at different times of the day and would have more than just one painting of a scenery. One of Monet’s famous paintings, Regatta at Argenteuil (1872) had been created on a 48x 75cm canvas. The choice of oil mediums gave Monet the ability to blend the colors into one and created the impression of the reality in painting. Monet’s element of design through horizontal lines, gave the reality of the movement of the water, sky, and trees.  The vibrant color scheme being presented, with the selection of warm colors (orange, blue, and green) created the canvas to pop out from any other. The range of light to dark values of colors created the illusion for the objects to have depth and shadows. In addition, Monet had used the hues very well in creating the sky’s sunlight and reflection on the water.
The way Monet painted is very poignant and inspirational. The shooting of emotions that comes through the viewers’ perception of the painting are indescribable.  It is not just any ordinary painting, it tells a story and each observer can have different meanings of what he or she sees in the painting. Furthermore, the composition is remarkable with the paintings repetition of rhythm from the boats in sync with the house on the land. Monet properly used the elements and principles of design from the variety of light and space to have the viewers look to the middle of the painting and work his and her way throughout the painting. 
The painting, Regatta at Argenteuil is essentially motivating towards the interior design field. The painting has a variety of vibrant colors that could inspire designers by turning a dull space into relaxing getaway, which would be prefect for summer vacation homes or houses along the shore. "Monet offers one of the most extraordinary transformations known in the lifework of an artist (Schapiro).”


source: http://www.artchive.com/artchive/M/monet.html


Schematic Designs

Overlays of elements and principles of the drawing....

 plane
scale



line



unity - variety

Concept Models

model 1



model 2 side views






model 3


While working on my concept models I kept on looking back and forth between my diagrams of the principles and elements that appealed to me most and created overlays. I really enjoyed the work process. I was able to get a better appreciation of the art work than just analyzing the piece and my emotions off from it. Being able to take out the different elements and create an abstract project then turn it into 3D models is pretty cool! From my emotions of the painting and the elements that popped out to me most, made me really think of a wave affect (from the sails and sky). I figured by using cardboard it would be a perfect element to show the relation of the “waves”. Then when I started to look more into the color theory, with the hues of oranges and blues I wanted to incorporate that into my models as well.  
With my overall result of my concept models and overlays, it really made me excited to pursue the rest of the project. I have high expectations for myself of recreating this space and showing my true talent in design.


                                        
Olioboard -  My design theory of Monet's, Regatta At Argenteuil

No comments:

Post a Comment